Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:58:12 +0200
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Boaz Tsaban <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Nikud (once again)

I think that Maxim Iorsh announced, not long ago, nikud support for additional fonts. Does anyone plan to incorporate these new developments into LaTeX? The present situation, that one must switch to another font in order to add nikud, is not satisfactory in my opinion. Especially given that nowadays FrankRuhl font is not widely used and looks archaic. Of course, I do appreciate every effort done thus far to help us, and indeed I personally use what is available. Thanks, Boaz On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Artyom <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >> I have tried everything, and read many articles about it; but I can't >> figure  out how to put vowel points in my Hebrew LaTeX documents. Some >> articles come  with examples, that usually use the "elatex" command, >> which is...  obsolete? >> > > 1. Make sure you are using texlive and not tetex > 2. Uninstall ivritex package!!!! Don't use it any more. > 3. Install latest culmus-latex package from ivritex downloads. > 4. Under examples there is an example with nikud, try to build it. > > You may see some more detailed instructions published there: > >   http://art-blog.no-ip.info/newpress/blog/post/266 > > (BiDiTeX is optional but I recommend it) > > Now when you work with Nikud you have to use different font. > Now you need to use franknikud font: > > \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{franknikud} > > Also you HAVE to go via ps: latex - > dvips -> ps2pdf > Because nikud typesetting is based on very specific ps features. > > Also take a look there: > > http://art-blog.no-ip.info/newpress/blog/post/186 > > I've started writing some introduction but hadn't continued as > had no time, I used nikud there, so you can see in the source of the > document what to define. > > Bottom line, it is doable and it works, but like everything in LaTeX > and Hebrew it takes some time to configure the system to work. > > >> I know it should be possible; for example, this  dictionary: >> http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~jarden/Dictionary/ was written using  LaTeX, > > It is not typeset with LaTeX (typesetting is horrible :-) ) also who > uses Times font for Hebrew documents... Arhhhh. > >> and the nikud signs there look really good, >> comparing to what in  Guy's examples, for example. > > What examples? LaTeX's Nikud typesetting is nearly perfect: > > See there: http://art-blog.no-ip.info/files/all.pdf > This is done with LaTeX. > >> >> I would be really grateful for any  help. >> > > > Regards, >  Artyom > > > > -- Boaz Tsaban Department of Mathematics, Bar-Ilan University [log in to unmask]