Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:41:20 +0300
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Guy Rutenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: problems w/ ivritex on ubuntu

Hi Shaya, If you're using a modern TeX distribution you don't need ivritex, just culmus-latex. Saying that, some of the errors you received are related to both packages. On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Shaya Potter <[log in to unmask]>wrote: > at first I had problems even with the sample documents. When I enter > them exactly by hand (i.e. copy/paste from web page), I get an error > such as. > > Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:פ not set up for use with LaTeX Thats because when you copy/pasted the code, you saved as utf-8 and ivritex anc culmus-latex don't work (yet with utf-8). > > > However, when I download them, they work fine (but do not appear to be > in utf8 that at least emacs can decipher as I just get "random" > characters for the hebrew in emacs. It's in cp1255 > installing culmus-latex fixed that. As I said this should be enough, you don't need the ivritex package too (actually it might conflict with other packages). > > > So, now I can generate a premade hebrew document and view it correctly. > > But that leaves me back at my first problem, I'm confused on how to > actually enter hebrew text. > > what I have in my preamble is > > \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} > \usepackage[hebrew,english]{babel} Try instead: \usepackage[cp1255,utf8]{inputenc} \usepackage[hebrew,english]{babel} And before entering the hebrew text preppend \inputencoding{cp1255} and append \inputencoding{utf8} after it. I know it's not very user-friendly, that's why I use LyX for editing LaTeX documents with Hebrew. I'm planning to support utf-8 in culmus-latex sometime soon. I hope I've been of help, Guy ---- http://www.guyrutenberg.com/culmus-latex

[text/html]