Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2008 19:26:38 +0300
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Guy Rutenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      culmus-latex Font Size Issue - Possible Solutions

Hi All, I wanted to hear you advice regarding the font size issue in culmus-latex, and the correct way to handle it. The issue is that the culmus fonts in the culmus-latex package are smaller than the original Heberw fonts for latex (or even the Culmus fonts that came withe Ivritex 1.2.1). The original font size is roughly equivalent to the height of the English capital letters in the Computer Modern font. The font size of the culmus-latex fonts is roughly equivalent to the small English letters. The issue was raised by Dov some time ago, and I addressed it in the beta release of culmus-latex-0.7. We gained the advantage that old documents that compiled against the new beta package looked similar to the way they looked with the old fonts. On the other hand, as Artyom pointed out, the bigger size of the Hebrew fonts makes them look unnatural in documents that combine English and Hebrew, and that the small font-size culmus-latex had is better. Another issue was that the default font size for the old culmus-latex package was too small, this required people to use the 12pt and 11pt options for the document class. There are several solutions to this issue: 1. Set the font size to match as closely as possible to the old ones, and maybe provide an option flag to have the small font size. 2. Set the default font size the same as it used to be in culmus-latex, but provide an option flag to adjust the font sizes to the original Hebrew font sizes. If you've another idea, I'd like to hear it too. So what is your prefers solution? Regards, Guy

[text/html]