Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2008 13:29:08 -0700
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Artyom <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: culmus-latex Font Size Issue - Possible Solutions

Hello, Frist of all I prepared a little "Demo" of the real sizes: http://art-blog.no-ip.info/pics/font-sizes.png There is an old Ivritex David font, A new (0.7) Frank Ruehl and FrankNikud (in same scale) A photo of a text from professional book And example of different fonts in OpenOffice. As you can see that the distance between the line of CAPITAL letters, Hebrew top line and lowercase letters may vary. But in most of cases the best effect is given when it is similar when the height of hebrew letter is between a Capital and lower case one. I think the correct solution is: 1. Increase a size of FrankNikud fonts in about 80% 2. Reduce a size of Frank in about 20%. (I mean percent of difference between them) Actually,after checking the situation I agree that the font size must be much closer to new (0.7) version. But all other fonts should be consistent. So I can add a support of Nikud without hurting the layout parameters of article. I think, this would be the best Artyom --- Guy Rutenberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Hi All, > > I wanted to hear you advice regarding the font size > issue in culmus-latex, > and the correct way to handle it. > > The issue is that the culmus fonts in the > culmus-latex package are smaller > than the original Heberw fonts for latex (or even > the Culmus fonts that came > withe Ivritex 1.2.1). The original font size is > roughly equivalent to the > height of the English capital letters in the > Computer Modern font. The font > size of the culmus-latex fonts is roughly equivalent > to the small English > letters. > > The issue was raised by Dov some time ago, and I > addressed it in the beta > release of culmus-latex-0.7. We gained the advantage > that old documents that > compiled against the new beta package looked similar > to the way they looked > with the old fonts. On the other hand, as Artyom > pointed out, the bigger > size of the Hebrew fonts makes them look unnatural > in documents that combine > English and Hebrew, and that the small font-size > culmus-latex had is better. > > Another issue was that the default font size for the > old culmus-latex > package was too small, this required people to use > the 12pt and 11pt options > for the document class. > > There are several solutions to this issue: > > 1. Set the font size to match as closely as possible > to the old ones, and > maybe provide an option flag to have the small font > size. > > 2. Set the default font size the same as it used to > be in culmus-latex, but > provide an option flag to adjust the font sizes to > the original Hebrew font > sizes. > > If you've another idea, I'd like to hear it too. So > what is your prefers > solution? > > > > Regards, > > Guy >