Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (February 2006)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:23:23 +0200
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Maxim Iorsh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz

Hello Jay, I suggest that you contact Meir Sadan ([log in to unmask]). As far as I remember, once he posted a handful of such sentences on a Typophile forum, but that posting is now unavailable. Best regards, Maxim. -----Original Message----- From: Hebrew TeX list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jay F Shachter Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:41 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz My question, although admittedly unrelated to formatting Hebrew text, will, I think, interest some of the readership of this mailing list, namely, people who format Hebrew text. Can someone please provide me with a minimal Hebrew sentence that contains all 27 glyphs, and also a minimal Hebrew sentence that contains all 22 letters? E.g., "Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs" and "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz" are English sentences that contain all 26 letters of the English alphabet (or, more correctly, the variant of the Latin alphabet that is used in writing English). "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz" is a minimal sentence, in that it contains only 31 letters, which I believe is as low as you can get without resorting to using non-words like "qwm". Hebrew lacks the constraints of English (e.g., the constraint that every word must contain a vowel letter) and for that reason I suspect that it is possible to construct minimal Hebrew sentences with no duplicated letters at all; but I have never seen any such sentences. I am aware of the Biblical verses Exodus 16:16 (all 22 letters) and Zephania 3:8 (all 27 glyphs), but I am looking for minimal sentences, if possible, and second of all I specifically want to avoid Biblical verses. I am looking for filler text that I can use to illustrate a Hebrew font; I have several Hebrew fonts on my computer, and I want to print them out with appropriate filler text and look at them and compare their appearances to one another. If I intentionally use Biblical verses for my filler text, then my printouts acquire holiness and I may not throw them in the trash, which is inconvenient. Thank you in advance for any and all replies. Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter 6424 N Whipple St Chicago IL 60645-4111 (1-773)7613784 [log in to unmask] http://m5.chi.il.us:8080 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System at the Tel-Aviv University CC. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System at the Tel-Aviv University CC.