Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:08:03 +0200
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Maxim Iorsh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Frank-Ruehl approaches the finish line...

Hello, Ron! Regarding your suggestions: * I redesigned punctuation signs (In fact, I never liked the old ones, but was too lazy to do something). The comma is not quite straight - the straight one looks too archaic to my taste, but rather follows the conventions of modern newspapers. * Dagesh forms are included for all letters. Let them just be there :) * The digits are already the same width, but the problem is that some couples of them employ kerning information. If you really wish, you can identify these pairs in the AFM file, and remove them. But I considered this issue and decided to leave them as is. All these changes have been applied only to the medium weight font, and you can find it at the Culmus site, in the developers' area. I hope to get to the bold font soon. Best regards, Maxim. > -----Original Message----- > From: Ron Artstein [mailto:[log in to unmask]] > Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 4:51 PM > To: Maxim Iorsh > Subject: Re: Frank-Ruehl approaches the finish line... > > > Hi Maxim, > > I finally got around to creating TeX metrics for your new version > of FrankRuehl. It works, and I haven't discovered any bugs so far > (I've done fairly minimal testing). > > I like your reshaped dashes, and especially the shortened hyphen, > the old version was a bit long for my taste. > > A few suggestions: > > - I prefer a more traditional Frank-Ruehl straight comma over the > Microsoft curly comma; this is just a personal preferences. > > - Perhaps include dagesh-forms for all letters, including the > non-unicode ones, the way you did for Drugulin? I'm not sure > how much these will be used, it's more for the sake of > completeness. > > - I would prefer it if all the digits were of the same width: this > would make for better alignment in tables. I believe that some > expert fonts have two or even three sets of digits: variable > width for use in running text, uniform width for use in tables, > and oldstyle digits of variable height, extending below the > baseline. I don't know how these variants are implemented, and > whether Unicode provides distinct codes for these (I haven't > found any). At any rate, most TeX fonts have digits of uniform > width---in running text they are slightly less pretty than > variable width digits, but they look much better whenever numbers > are vertically aligned. > > I'll let you know if I discover additional issues. Thanks, and I > look forward for future releases. > > -Ron. > > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Maxim Iorsh wrote: > > > Ladies and Gentlemen! > > > > Yesterday I released in the Developers' section a new version > > of FrankRuehl typeface, in normal and bold variations. This > > release includes a major typefacelifting :) to both fonts, > > i. e. various visual fixes, implementations of all characters > > requested or required for any reason, and kerning. > > > > This release has all chances to become final, unless I get some > > bug reports. > > > > Best regards, > > Maxim. > > > >