Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:37:16 +0200
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Sivan Toledo <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Fonts needed for mathematical text in a Hebrew paper.

Michael, Indeed there are few hebrew fonts with good italics and even if there are, the direction of the slant is problematic. The font David (the original, not the one that comes with Word) does have an italic font. It slants to the left and is not very easy to read, so I do not think it would suit your purpose. I use the following solution: avoiding italics altogether. Instead, I use bold for emphasis. So in hebrew I use just two fonts, regular and bold. For the math, I tend to use Euler (the euler package in latex), since these are very good fonts (designed by Zapf with help from Knuth), and they do not slant. That is, the are mathematical fonts that were designed without a slant. I think they work very well with the Hadassah hebrew font. So that allows me to use professional-quality fonts and avoid any slanted ones in the document. A little nontraditional but works well. Sivan Toledo, Tel-Aviv University On Thursday 20 November 2003 12:47, you wrote: > Shalom rav, > > Rama Porrat supplied me with the fonts david, courier, and arial. > None of them, unfortunately, is appropriate for mathematical texts. > > The minimum needed for mathematical text is: > > Regular fonts, bold faced fonts and italic fonts --- all from the same > family, i.e., having the same characteristics, and all in the various > magnifications. > > In particular I was disappointed with the italic fonts: These were NOT > italic. These were slanted letters and, moreover, slanted in the wrong > direction; namely, not in the direction of writing. Also, when inserted > in a regular text, such as in a definition, they are not sufficiently > distinguishable from the rest of the text. > > A graphic editor who edited my Hebrew textbooks claims, and I fully > agree, that slanting does not go well with Hebrew text and indeed > you do not see slanted fonts in books, except for poetry, where EVERYTHING > is slanted. > > It seems to me that one needs some creative thinking concerning italic. > I tried some fonts in WORD. They indeed look more like latin italic, but > slanting them cause harm. However, if you type a sentence like > Do NOT act stupidly, WORD italic fonts for NOT hardly distinguish it from > the rest of the text. > > One should consult experts in font-design. The requirements from italic > are: > > They should have the same characteristics of the regular font. > They should not be slanted. > They should easily distinguish themselves from the regular fonts > so that the eye will be impressed. > > At first I thought that all one has to do is make the same regular font > but thinner. When I looked at the latin italic I realized that these are > not thinner and I do not know how to define the difference between them and > the regular fonts. This difference certainly exists. > > Any suggestion? > > Michael Maschler