Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2003 08:49:33 +0300
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ron Artstein <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Hebrew numbers in TeX

Tzafrir, Thanks for putting the style file as an attachment. I don't know why this didn't occur to me :) > Side note: > > \Alphfinal and \Hebrewnumeralfinal don't seem to produce > different results than \Alph and \Hebrewnumeral, accordingly. > I'll try to look into this later. Have you tried numbers above 100? In the current implementation, \Alphfinal and \Hebrewnumeralfinal produce an initial letter if no hundreds digit is present, so you only see their effect starting with 120 (qof-"-finalkaf). It works for me, even with \pagenumbering{\Alphfinal} (lots of \newpage commands...). I'm not sure if this is the desired behavior, but this is what the package does at the moment. To change this behavior, remove the command \@gim@finalfalse from line 119 in the style file (together with the surrounding braces). Here's a copy of lines 116-119. % otherwise, this is the only letter: force it to be non-final % (lone final letters are not allowed---is this the accepted % convention?) and print x' if we print apostrophes, x if we don't. \else{\@gim@finalfalse#2}\if@gim@apost'\fi\fi% What the desired behavior should be depends on how years without hundreds are traditionally written. Since A.D. 1290 (he' nun') was the year when the expulsion of Jews from England took place, there must be plenty of references to it in Jewish sources. It's just a matter of tracking them down and finding out if they used initial or final nun. -Ron.