Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:   Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:50:30 -0600
Sender:   Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:   Jay F Shachter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:   Re: emphasized hebrew text

A few months ago Tzafrir Cohen and Sivan Toledo conducted a discussion on this mailing list (in which there were occasional other participants as well) concerning the appropriate font for emphasized Hebrew text. The alternatives being discussed was whether one should use an emboldened font (i.e., one in which the letters are drawn with thick strokes), or a slanted font.

My impression is that neither of these conventions is indigenous to our tradition. My impression is that the traditional way, in Hebrew writing, to emphasize text is by increasing the spacing between letters.

Have Israelis uniformly adopted the European typographical customs in this regard? Or are there some Israeli publications who still follow the traditional Hebrew practice?

Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter 6424 N Whipple St Chicago IL 60645-4111 (1-773)7613784 [log in to unmask]