Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001)Back to main IVRITEX pageJoin or leave IVRITEXReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:31:53 +0300
Sender:       Hebrew TeX list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Nadav Har'El <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: makeindex in Hebrew LaTeX

[I'm CC'ing this to the list - I hope it's ok] On Tue, Jul 17, 2001, Yehuda Pinchover wrote about "makeindex in Hebrew LaTeX": > Shalom Nadav, > Thanks for your reply. Still I have two problems. > > I used your hebrew.ist and I got the numbers correct. But the items are > not according to the Hebrew Alphabet. > > Also, before I run > makeindex -s hebrew.ist > > I must replace in filename.idx the string {\@@number {x}} by {x}, where > x stands for the page number. > > Do you have a solution for these two problems? > > Yehuda It worked perfectly for me, but that was LaTeX 2.09, not LaTeX 2e, and a lot of other water passed under the bridge since. I'm afraid I won't be able to know more without trying it for myself and seeing what's wrong. But I have some hunches: 1. About the \@@number problem: if I remember correctly, makeindex *insists* that the page numbers on filename.idx should be actual numbers and not have various tex formatting on them. I bet you don't see this \@@number when typesetting in English. I suspect that this \@@number is part of the LaTeX 2e Hebrew support, in which case this part was done wrong: the idx file must be output bare integers. In my version of the LaTeX 2.09 support, I did this correctly, but I have no idea about Boris's LaTeX 2e support. As an ad-hoc solution, you can run a simple sed script to get rid of the \@@number, e.g., (I didn't test it:) sed 's/\\@@number {\([0-9]*\)}/\1/g' < filename.idx > filename.new.idx mv filename.new.idx filename.idex 2. When I used it, it did sort correctly according to the Hebrew alphabet. Maybe it has something to do with the "oldcode" encoding now used in the common LaTeX 2e support? I used "newcode". ftp://ftp.ivrix.org.il/pub/ivrix/src/cmdline/tex/report.ps.gz contains a section about how I used makeindex (it also contains an index at the end so you can see how it works very nicely!). By the way, I have no idea if Boris's Hebrew support also does two-column correctly (i.e., the first column is the right, the second is the left) when in Hebrew mode - the original LaTeX 2.09 didn't, and I added this (and many other things) in my version. Again, see the aforementioned report.ps.gz for a nice example of an index. -- Nadav Har'El | Tuesday, Jul 17 2001, 26 Tammuz 5761 [log in to unmask] |----------------------------------------- Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |"How could we possibly use sex to get http://nadav.harel.org.il |what we want? Sex IS what we want!" Fraser